How to be able to deliver a good speech | Shush Priya: How to be able to deliver a good speech

Sunday, 24 January 2016

How to be able to deliver a good speech

I don't know about you, but I love speaking in front of people. The adrenaline, the nervousness that I feel is positive for me and the pride and relief once I have given it. However, I'm not going to lie, every time I stand up in front of people, my hands tremble, my body shakes and all of a sudden I feel cold (even in summer). Despite that, nothing can stop me from presenting the speech that I have created and wrote. I'm not saying I'm an expert but I have definitely learned from doing speeches again and again! That's why I want to share with you all the knowledge I have gained and be able to help YOU give a speech. If it is a class presentation or in front of the whole world, these tips will help you!

Be prepared

If you're not prepared, you might as well not go up on the stage. Speeches can not be made in a minute, not good ones anyway. I have learnt from doing it myself and watching others, you start to stammer and repeat things if you have not prepared the speech. You may think that you can do it but it is mere impossible. If you are able to do it, well done but if you can't then you are going to make a fool out of yourself. Not lying.

Have notes

Even if you have memorised your speech, I recommend you taking your note cards with you just in case. There is nothing wrong with back-up because having note cards is better than standing there speechless because you forgot what you had to say. Plus no one is going to judge you no matter what people say because note cards are used by EVERYONE!! Even the most famous people like Prime Ministers use note cards to make sure they have an idea about what they are saying.

Keep eye contact with the audience

When I mean eye contact I DO NOT mean stare or glare. Having someone staring at you will they are talking can be so overwhelming. The audience may stare at you but don't be scared by that. It is a normal thing. In fact if the audience are staring at you that means you have their full attention which means that you are saying something that is captivating them!!

Be Confident

Some of the best speakers may look like they're confident but inside they are so nervous some say they are too scared to speak. Even if you are frightened and scared out of your wits, act like you're confident. People do not know what you are feeling until you show them your emotions. So just act!

Enjoy it!

You have to do it. There is no arguing with that so why don't you just enjoy it while you do it. Even if it is one of the worst things ever, if people see you are enjoying it they will too just by seeing your facial expression. Also you will feel more confident and relaxed because you will be happy while giving it and that will allow you to give the best speech you can!


My number one tip to give the BEST speech however, will probably be to put all your effort into it. You can achieve anything if you try so what is a simple speech?

I hope these tips helped!!



Shushpriya  xxx